Curious isn’t it, how oils start to appear in every room of your house, and become the go-to solution for any number of daily needs? How easy it is to listen to a friend with a problem, and start to recommend one oil or another? Soon, we own lots of oils to experiment with.
Here’s a handy guide in which we review how to properly access the benefits in those little bottles. Even the most experienced oil expert can use the occasional update and refresher.
And whilst this list of 5 essential oil mistakes isn’t carved in stone, consider it solid advice.
Mistake 1: Assuming all essential oils are created equally
Not all essential oils are created the same—quality and purity varies greatly among brands and producers. If you want to ensure you’re getting the highest quality oils, go with the trusted industry leader. Yes, that’s us! Young Living’s Seed to Seal® quality commitment means we’re strict on what ingredients we allow in our products, and how we source the botanicals for our essential oils. We test the water, the soil and the air on our farms to safeguard the process and protect our products.
If you’re as into knowing just what’s inside your bottles as we are, here are a few good tips:
- Carefully read the ingredients on your essential oil bottle
- Research how the company sources and produces their oils
Is the oil pure?
Does the company care about the distillation process?
Do they test their essential oils an average of 95 times before they reach the user?
Mistake 2: Leaving essential oils out of your personal care routine
If you’re not using essential oils in your personal care routine, you’re missing out on some major perks. Plus, pampering yourself is easier than you think! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add some essential oils to your bath. Only a few drops of Lavender, Geranium and Copaiba and bath time quickly becomes a mini R&R spa.
- Ramp up your relaxation with an oil-infused massage and enjoy a much-needed at-home cosy night.
- Say yes to renewed, radiant skin when you include essential oils in your skin care routine. Tea Tree cleanses and refreshes, Helichrysum promotes a youthful, healthy-looking complexion, and Frankincense gives your skin that radiant glow.
Mistake 3: Ingesting all essential oils
Young children sometimes make a beeline for berries when they’re out and about. It’s a life lesson that only certain berries can be gobbled up. The same principle applies to essential oils. To make life easy, simply turn to Young Living’s ‘Plus’ range. The one with the white labels.
These doses of oil are an easy way to add a burst of flavour to your beverages. Use Black Pepper+, Coriander+ or Ginger+ to spice up your cooking or infuse your next batch of baked goods with a little Cinnamon Bark+.
Mistake 4: Forgetting some essential oils are warming
While you can apply many essential oils directly to the skin without dilution, some are considered warming oils. We recommend dilution of warming oils, which include Peppermint, Cinnamon Bark and Oregano.
- You can dilute warming oils with a carrier oil like our Young Living V-6® Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex.
- Before using an oil topically, do a spot test on your forearm and watch for a reaction. You’ll soon get to know your tolerance levels.
- If you’re unsure if an essential oil is a warming oil, check the label to find out if it requires dilution.
- Start with just a drop or two of essential oil and build from there.
Mistake 5: Keeping children from the concept of essential oils
We love to share what we love with those we love. However, some caution is required when introducing children to oils. Here are our tips:
- You can use products from our Seedlings® range with a clear conscience, knowing that they’re designed for use with babies and young children.
- Our Feather the Owl Diffuser can set the stage for a successful night’s sleep with features that include a diffuser, a night-light and a white-noise machine.
- Parenting can be tough, but with a little help from Young Living’s KidScents® range, you can do everything from provide a food supplement or encourage clean teeth!