Congratulations! You’ve finally found the ticket to living a healthier and happier life with Young Living essential oils! With hundreds of oils and almost as many ways to use each one, starting out with essential oils can feel a bit overwhelming. That’s why we’ve compiled some of our resources and are sharing 15 oils and their uses to get you started.
Young Living tip: Bookmark this post as a forever reference, whether it’s day 1 or 1,000 on your essential oil journey.
The essential oil basics
Before we jump into which essential oils you need first and foremost, we’ve got a list of resources that will take you from essential oil first-timer to top of the class.
- Start with the basics! Begin with learning how to use essential oils
- Learn about dilution. Make sure you know which carrier oils are best for you and your skin.
- Get all the answers! Learn where to store essential oils.
- Infuse your life with amazing aromas. Find the right diffuser for you and become an expert essential oil blender.
Which essential oils are good for beginners?
- Lavender essential oil
Lovely Lavender! Probably the first oil that comes to mind when you hear “essential oils,” the fresh, bouquet-like scent of Lavender will elevate your beauty, wellness and meditation routines.
- Diffuse 3 drops Lavender and 3 drops Orange in the nursery for a precious and peaceful scent.
- Add 4 drops Lavender and 240g Epsom salt to a hot bath for a slice of serenity.
- Mix with lotion or aloe vera to soothe skin after a fun day in the sun.
- Frankincense essential oil
Focused Frankincense! When you need some self-reflection, a moment of peace, or a calm companion, the grounding, complex aroma of Frankincense will get the job done.
- Find your centre of content by diffusing during prayer or mediation.
- Incorporate into your night-time skin care routine for a vibrant, even-looking skin
- Dab a drop of Frankincense and Valor onto your wrists for all-day confidence and calm.
- Cedarwood essential oil
Comfy Cedarwood! With its balmy, rich, and sauna-like scent, Cedarwood has the amazing ability to surround you with peace, treat you to incredible hair and skin and freshen up your home.
- Evict unwanted smells and invite in cosiness by diffusing this odour-eliminating oil.
- Mix 3 drops Cedarwood, 2 drops Peace & Calming, and 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Massage mixture into scalp and hair, let sit for 10 minutes, and rinse completely for lustrous locks.
- Make an outdoor furniture spray. Combine 8 drops Cedarwood, 2 drops Citrus Fresh, 5 drops Peppermint and distilled water in a 250 ml glass spray bottle and spritz your outdoor chairs and loungers.
- PanAway essential oil blend
Punchy PanAway! When a day of picking up toys, sitting in an office chair or running errands makes you feel like you just ran a marathon, rely on the cooling sensation of PanAway and its potential to soothe aching muscles when used with a massage.
- Treat your tired muscles with a quarter-sized amount of Young Living V-6®, 2 drops PanAway, and 1 drop Frankincense.
- Rub 1 drop PanAway and a small amount of coconut oil onto your temples for a refreshing restart.
- Soak your feet in warm water, 60g Epsom salt and 3 drops PanAway for a much deserved me moment.
- Raven essential oil blend
Rousing Raven! As brisk and stimulating as a chilly walk in the woods, Raven exhilarates your senses and aids in deep breathing with its minty essential oils and cool undertones.
- Freshen up a stale, musty room by diffusing this crisp essential oil blend.
- Place a few drops in the bottom of your shower and let the steam stimulate your day.
- Add 1 drop each of Raven and Oregano to your favourite lotion and give yourself a pre-bedtime foot massage.
- DiGize essential oil blend
Dependable DiGize! Whether you’re sampling exotic cuisine on your summer vacation or hosting a pizza night with friends, you’ll want DiGize within arm’s reach as a post-dinner aroma-companion.
- Mix DiGize and Peppermint to add to your diffuser for a spicy, minty scent.
- Keep DiGize in the car. When visiting your favourite restaurant, dilute it with a carrier oil and massage it onto your abdomen after a hearty meal.
- Thieves essential oil blend
Trusty Thieves! Who knew that quality essential oils distilled from plant materials would be the most effective cleaning agent and have an incredible scent? We did! Turn to the autumnal aroma of Thieves all year long!
- Diffuse in the kitchen after every meal for a warm and welcoming air freshener.
- Give your carpets a redo. Mix 180g baking soda with 5 drops Thieves, sprinkle over carpets, leave for 90 minutes, and then vacuum well.
- Place 2 drops Thieves and 1 drop Raven on a cotton ball and stash it at the bottom of bins to fight odour.
- Stress Away essential oil blend
Stress Away uses
- Keep a level head while conquering homework, career projects, and massive to-do lists with this citrusy aroma.
- Combine a small amount of carrier oil, 3 drops Stress Away, and 1 drop PanAway and then ask your partner for a soothing neck massage.
- Put 8-10 drops directly into bathwater and luxuriate with this sunny scent.
- Lemon essential oil
Lively Lemon! When life gives you lemons, invite in the light with the tangy scent of Lemon to banish the clouds in your sky.
- Add DiGize and Lemon to your diffuser for a surprisingly bright scent.
- Rid yourself of all sticky adhesive residue with 2 drops on a cotton ball.
- Embrace a youthful glow by adding Lemon to your night-time skin care routine.*
- Peace & Calming essential oil blend
Protective Peace & Calming! With a gentle and inspiring blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, and Blue Tansy, the supportive scent of Peace & Calming won’t let you stay down and discouraged for long.
Peace & Calming uses
- Fill your life with good things by diffusing this feels-like-a-hug aroma.
- Place a drop or two in your palm, cup your hands, and breathe in so you can infuse your life with stillness.
- Mix 2 drops of Peace & Calming and Citrus Fresh with an unscented moisturiser to create a DIY lotion you’ll always reach for.
- Valor essential oil blend
Vivacious Valor! Just like that best friend who’s always there to pump you up, the brisk scent of Valor is the personal cheerleader you’ve always wanted.
- Create the confidence to complete your dreams with this complex, invigorating aroma.
- Face the day with courage by inhaling directly from the bottle.
- Use as a dynamic and distinct personal fragrance by adding it to a DIY perfume or cologne.
- Citrus Fresh essential oil blend
Zesty Citrus Fresh! Is it possible to recreate the feeling of vacation adventures, outdoor hammocking, and time with friends with a simple scent? Breathe in Citrus Fresh, full of our favourite citrus oils, and you’ll find out!
Citrus Fresh uses
- Begin your day the sunny way and hit start on your citrus-filled diffuser right after you hit stop on your alarm.
- Wipe down worktop, doorknobs, and walls with 230 ml distilled water, 5 drops Citrus Fresh, and 5 drops Thieves in a 500ml glass spray bottle.
- Permeate your car with the happiest smell around during morning commutes and rush hour traffic.
- Peppermint essential oil
Proficient Peppermint! Maybe the most-beloved, most-used essential oil, Peppermint packs a powerful punch that’s a preferred partner in crime to kids and adults alike.
- Go for a classic scent that everyone loves and diffuse Peppermint and Lavender together.
- Find your chill after a killer workout. Wet a cloth with cold water, add 1 drop each of Peppermint and Raven, and rub over skin for a cooling sensation.
- Take care of tired muscles with a Peppermint and Young Living V-6® massage after a hike, run or gym class.
- Oregano essential oil
Outstanding Oregano! This may seem like a surprising addition to this beginner’s guide, but once you discover the powerful uses of warm and herbaceous Oregano, you’ll always want to hav
- Create the warmth of an Italian kitchen in your own home by diffusing Oregano with Lemon.
- Add Oregano to your preferred carrier oil and rub into your joints after a long day on your feet.
- Give the gift of relaxation. Master the Raindrop Technique® and pamper your friends on their birthdays.
- Orange essential oil
Outrageous Orange! Light and bright and everything right, sweet Orange is the ideal companion when you’re ready to fill every part of your day with gorgeous warmth and sunshine.
- Turn any day right back around by adding this cheery scent to your favourite diffuser.
- Spruce up your linens. Add 8 drops Orange, 8 drops Stress Away and 250ml of water to a glass spray bottle.
- Say goodbye to blemishes by adding 4 drops coconut oil and 1 drop Orange to a cotton ball and rubbing on your skin.*
Wow! With so many incredible benefits from these 15 life-enhancing Young Living essential oils, it can be tough to know which ones to pick. To get started, we suggest one of our Premium Starter Kits, full of the world’s purest essential oils, a diffuser, and other household must-haves.
What’s your top tip for essential oil beginners?
Spill the beans in the comments below.
*Avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 24 hours after applying product.