When you think of essential oils, do the words “girly” or “floral” come to mind? If so, then you clearly haven’t seen the wonders these products can do for unruly facial hair, your muscles and even that funky smell coming from the trainers you rarely (okay, never) wash. Make no mistake, fellas. From tackling life’s problems to boosting daily routines, essential oils can play an important role in every man’s life.
So which ones are best, and what can you do with them? Get the answers to your questions here.
What are some essential oils guys might love?
While all essential oils are for men (they’re for everyone!), not all of us want to smell like flowers—we’re here for it if you do, though. Each person has unique preferences, but many men favour woodsy and earthy aromas over florals. If you’re looking for essential oils with these scents, here are some of our favourites.
Shutran essential oil blend
Composed of Cedarwood, Northern Lights Black Spruce and Lemon, Shutran is one of Young Living’s top-selling essential oil blends. In fact, this blend is so beloved that we turned it into a complete line of products for men. Specifically formulated with a bold scent, Shutran has a clean and woodsy aroma.
How to use Shutran:
- Wear its bold, empowering fragrance as cologne by putting a drop on each wrist.
- Make a body spray with 20 drops Shutran, 1 teaspoon witch hazel and 50 ml distilled water.
- Add it to a Car Vent Diffuser for a better-than-new car smell.
Vetiver essential oil
For a scent that’s more relaxing, Vetiver is a solid choice. Like Lavender, this essential oil is ideal for diffusing at bedtime or when you’re prepping for a big presentation or interview. But unlike Lavender, Vetiver is smoky and earthy. That’s not to say Lavender is bad for guys—truth is its heady floral fragrance is widely used in men’s colognes. We even added it to Shutran! But if you prefer something more reminiscent of fresh-cut grass on a hot summer afternoon, you can’t go wrong with Vetiver.
How to use Vetiver:
- Wind down after a long day with a diffuser blend of 3 drops Vetiver, 4 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce and 2 drops Tangerine.
- Get a whiff of inspiration by smelling it straight from the bottle.
- Add Vetiver to your face wash for extra cleansing power.
Peppermint essential oil
If Shutran is the boss of essential oil blends for men, then Peppermint is our top choice in singles. With its fresh, energising and minty aroma, peppermint essential oil has been around forever and is, without a doubt, here to stay. Many people enjoy using Peppermint topically for the icy, tingling sensation it leaves on skin.
How to use Peppermint:
- Add 4 drops of Peppermint to a dab of Young Living V-6® or another carrier oil and rub it into your muscles for a cooling, post-leg day massage.
- Diffuse it with Thieves for a cosy blend that says “let’s stay in tonight”.
- Combine a few drops with aloe vera gel to cool off after a long day in the sun.
Copaiba essential oil
Another champion among essential oils, Copaiba boasts numerous skin care benefits. Thanks to Copaiba’s warm and balsamic scent, this essential oil is perfect for creating calming diffuser blends and colognes. When you want to smell good without being overpowering, this one’s for you.
How to use Copaiba:
- Enhance your favourite beard oil with a drop or two of Copaiba.
- Add a drop to your morning moisturiser. Yes, you should be moisturising daily!
- Rub it into the bottoms of your feet before bed.
Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil
No list of essential oils for men would be complete without Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood. This woodsy wonder has an aroma that’s warm, soft and sultry. It takes 30 years for a sandalwood tree to mature to the point that we can extract essential oils from it, but the wait is well worth it—and we bet that you’ll agree.
How to use Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood:
- Add a few drops of Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood in your conditioner.
- Create a spa-like bath salt with 3-5 drops Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood and 200g Epsom salt.
- Add an air of sophistication to your man cave by diffusing this rustic, earthy scent on its own.
Ginger essential oil
With its spicy, invigorating aroma, Ginger is another good bet for men. While you might think of ginger as an ordinary kitchen spice, the essential oil is anything but average. In addition to being one of our favourite oils for massage, this zinger is your perfect companion on long, monotonous road trips.
How to use Ginger:
- Combine it with V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex and rub over muscles and joints during massage.
- Make your clothes smell super fresh by adding Ginger to laundry soap.
- Create a DIY room spray with 250 ml water, 2 tablespoons witch hazel, 20 drops Ginger and 10 drops Lemon.
Tea Tree essential oil
Another multitasker every man—and woman—needs in their home is Tea Tree. What makes this oil a must-have? Well, for starters, tea tree oil has proven cleansing properties, making it a beloved ingredient in skin care products. What’s more, you can use it to enjoy a fresh, Eucalyptus-like smell.
How to use Tea Tree:
- Use it in a DIY deodorant recipe or diffuse it after a gym session at home.
- Add a drop to your aftershave or body moisturiser.
- Treat yourself to a cleansing scalp massage with 2 drops of Tea Tree and 4 drops of a carrier oil such as coconut oil; continue rubbing the oils in for 3-5 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Make an all-purpose cleaner with 250 ml distilled water, 250 ml vinegar, 10 drops Tea Tree and 10 drops Pine.
Have another essential oil recommendation for men?
Share with us in the comments!