When you’ve hit the snooze button one too many times, or you only have five minutes to spruce up before going out, a good dry shampoo is a girl’s best friend.
Washing your hair daily, and even the weather can leave your locks prone to dryness and breakage. Nevertheless, without washing, our strands can naturally start to look and feel flat, dull and greasy.
But before you rush out to the nearest store to empty your wallets for expensive dry shampoo products, check your pantry! This easy DIY recipe is free of dyes, perfumes and harsh parabens, and uses ingredients you already have at home.
All you need is corn starch to help absorb excess oil, baking soda and a few of your favourite essential oils! You can experiment with your own blend to find a scent and combination that works best for you. But if you’re not sure where to start, we suggest Cedarwood, Rosemary, and Tea Tree essential oils. Commonly used to support a healthy feeling scalp and the appearance of your hair, these lock loving oils will keep you looking and smelling fabulous.
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 2 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop Tea Tree essential oil
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, for dark hair only
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Scoop mixture into a container of your choice. Empty salt shakers work great!
- Sprinkle on roots of hair and massage into scalp.
- Leave for 2–3 minutes to absorb hair’s natural oils.
- Brush through hair.
- Style as usual.
Love this DIY? Let us know how it worked for you and what combination of essential oils you like to use for your hair!
This post is also available in: French