It’s a common question and one you’ve probably asked yourself: Are essential oils are safe to ingest? And if so, which essential oils are safe to ingest?
The internet will provide several thousand, often conflicting answers to these questions. There is nothing more important than your health, which makes it critical to find information that helps you choose the safest products for you and your family.
With that, here is everything you need to know about ingesting essential oils.
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts – a single drop contains the equivalent constituents of several plants which means they are potent!
To answer the first question: Yes, certain essential oils are safe to ingest – with caution. Stick to essential oils that have been formulated with human consumption in mind, like Young Living’s Plus Oils. Always follow the label instructions and make sure that the essential oils you choose are the purest available.
Our Plus line is designed specifically for ingesting and is labeled for flavouring. When used in the proper, instructed amounts Young Living Plus oils open up a delicious new world of flavour with essential oils.
Let’s explore some delicious ways to use Plus Oils.
The invigorating flavour of Peppermint+ essential oil is a welcome addition to food or beverages in need of a minty infusion!
- Add a drop of Peppermint+ to your NingXia Red for an energizing burst of flavour!
- The perfect addition to your holiday baking:
Guilt-Free Peppermint+ Brownies
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 drops Peppermint+ essential oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Melt coconut oil on the stove until clear.
- Blend all ingredients except eggs in a food processor until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs until well beaten.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 pan and bake 25–30 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes then cut.
- Let cool another 15 minutes and serve.
Love the zesty flavour of lemon? Say goodbye to zesting or juicing and get the same fresh flavour in a bottle of Lemon+ essential oil!
- Add a drop of Lemon+ to a glass of ice water for a fresh, citrus-infused start to your day!
- Or try these tasty no-bake energy balls:
No-Bake Lemon-Basil+ Energy Balls
- 32 pitted dates
- ½ cup dried strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 drop Basil+ essential oil
- 4 drops Lemon+ essential oil
- Process dates and strawberries in a food processor until they form a thick paste.
- Mix in chia seeds, oats, and Plus oils. The mixture should form a firm dough.
- Using a medium cookie dough scoop, roll into bite-sized balls.
- Store in an airtight container.
Whether it’s cold outside or you’re simply in need of some warmth, add a dose of spice with Cinnamon Bark+ essential oil.
- Add 1 drop to your hot tea, coffee or apple cider for some added heat.
- Try Cinnamon Bark+ Apple Chips for some sweet and spicy crunch:
Cinnamon Bark+ Apple Chips
- 3 apples
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark+ essential oil
- Preheat oven to 225⁰ F.
- Use Thieves® Fruit & Veggie Spray to clean the fruit.
- With a mandolin or knife, thinly slice apples from top to bottom.
- In a small bowl, combine honey and Cinnamon Bark+.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and place apple slices on top.
- Drizzle honey mixture over apple slices.
- Cook in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove cookies sheets from heat and place apple slices on a cooling rack.
- For best results, store apple chips in an airtight container and eat them within 24 hours.
Oregano is an essential flavour in Mediterranean dishes! With a bottle of Oregano+ essential oil, ensure you’ll always have this indispensable herb on-hand.
- Create a savoury dipping oil for your favourite flatbread or French bread. Mix 1 drop each of Oregano+, Basil+ and Rosemary+, ½ cup of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Try an essential oil-infused pasta sauce:
Oregano+ Marinara Sauce
- 10 oz can tomato puree
- 1-2 cups water (depending on desired sauce texture)
- 2 tbsp sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup dried onion
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 4-6 drops Oregano+ essential oil
- 4-6 drops Basil+ essential oil
- 4 drops Fennel+ essential oil
- Makes 6 servings*
- Combine all ingredients (except essential oils) in a large pot on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to heat through.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low.
- Stir occasionally as the sauce thickens.
- Once it reaches desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Add essential oils, salt and pepper to taste.
Basil is a kitchen staple for any chef! Basil+ essential oil lets you skip the prep and keep the bright flavour that you can only get from fresh herbs.
- Add 1 drop to iced tea or lemonade for a sweet & savoury twist.
- Create an essential oil-infused salad dressing:
Burst of Basil+
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 drop Basil+ essential oil
- 1 drop Black Pepper+ essential oil
- 3 drops Lemon+ essential oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- Add to your salad and enjoy!
To add a versatile burst of flavour to all your favourite recipes, explore our complete line of Plus oils. Try and share your favourites with friends and family and remember – always to follow the label instructions!
What is your favourite way to use Plus essential oils? Share in the comments below.
This post is also available in: French