It’s a common question and one you’ve probably had yourself: Which essential oils are safe to ingest? It can be hard to know if ingesting essential oils is safe; from Pinterest to YouTube, you’ll find thousands of different answers. We know how important essential oil safety is and that nothing is more critical than choosing the right products for you and your family, so we’ve got all the information you need to know about the internal use of essential oils.
Essential oils explained
Let’s start at the beginning. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts, with a single drop containing the equivalent constituents of several plants. So while the important benefits we find in nature are valuable and important, it’s also critical to remember that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. For instance, while we all need water every day to live and thrive, too much could lead to water toxicity. Similarly, using too much of an essential oil can result in negative effects. That’s why the directions on the label are so important; they maximize safety and the benefit of the oil, while minimizing any potential reactions.
This begs the question, however: Which essential oils are safe to ingest? You always want to make sure that the essential oils you choose to use internally are the purest available and that they come from plants that are safe for human consumption. Fortunately, Young Living has a line of essential oils specifically labeled for internal use with directions on how to do so safely. There’s no difference in purity and authenticity when it comes to our Vitality™ oils and our topical/aromatic oils, but our Vitality line is clearly labeled for internal use. When used in the proper, instructed amounts, Young Living Vitality oils provide you the freedom to share and explore essential oils in nutritious and delicious ways!
If you want the safe way to ingest essential oils, try the tips below using some of our favorite Vitality oils. Be sure to follow the label instructions so you always know the correct amount of essential oil to ingest and so you know that you’re choosing safe essential oils for internal use.
The cool, refreshing flavor of Peppermint is a welcome addition to food, beverages, and as a dietary supplement. Try these tips for ingesting this fresh and minty essential oil!
- Follow label instructions and add Peppermint to your daily dietary supplements to support normal digestion.*
- Use in baking, like in these yummy guilt-free peppermint brownies.
- Include a drop in a glass of cool water for a refreshing start to your morning and to enhance healthy gut function.*
Love the fresh flavor of lemon? By using Lemon Vitality essential oil, you can get the bright, zesty taste and antioxidant benefits of lemon in your daily life.
- Add Lemon Vitality to a tall glass of cold water for a fresh, antioxidant-infused drink to start your day.
- Add 1-2 drops to a vegetarian gel capsule and take it daily for immune and circulatory support.*
- Blend a drop in Gary’s True Grit® Einkorn Pancake and Waffle Mix Top your breakfast with fresh fruit for a healthful breakfast that tastes like lemon-poppy seed cake.
- Add 1-2 drops to a vegetarian gel capsule and take it to support your weight-management program, lymphatic system, and circulatory system.*
- Add it to recipes like our no-bake energy balls or overnight chia bowls.
- Stay hydrated and experience Grapefruit Vitality’s cleansing properties by adding 1-2 drops to your chilled purified or sparkling water.*
Try using this spicy favorite to support your digestive system.
- Add 1 drop of DiGize Vitality and 4 drops of V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex to a capsule and take it daily to help support the digestive system.*
- Make a soothing tea with antioxidant properties by adding honey and DiGize Vitality to a steamy mug of water.*
- Take DiGize Vitality and Essentialzymes-4™ before meals to support wellness.*
Cinnamon Bark Vitality
When the weather outside is cold, or when you’re simply trying to warm things up, flavor your favorite recipes with Cinnamon Bark Vitality.
- Add it to any recipe that calls for cinnamon. Try our cinnamon apple chips for some sweet and spicy crunch.
- Elevate your fruit smoothie or green drink with a drop of Cinnamon Bark Vitality and benefit from its antioxidant properties.*
- Put a drop into your hot cereal for a little kick and to help maintain a healthy lifestyle.*
So many more!
When you want to flavor foods, boost your hydration, or supplement your health, there are so many more options in Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils. Find your own favorites and share them with your friends and family—and always remember to follow the label instructions!
YL safety tip: When ingesting essential oils in the Vitality line, always follow the label instructions and never exceed the amount suggested. Also, keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
Though many have used oils that are not in the Young Living Vitality line internally with success, current regulatory guidelines and research indicate that the Vitality line is an up-to-date offering of essential oils that are safe for ingestion when label directions are followed.
What is your favorite way to use Vitality essential oils? Let us know in the comments below.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.