YL tip: Apply 3−4 drops of any of these essential oils to the bottoms of your feet for an essential oil foot massage. If you want to mix it up, try one of our DIY blend recipes listed later in this post!
Why should you put essential oils on your feet?
There are many reasons why putting essential oils on your feet may be the key to your self-care routine.
1. Essential oils can be easily absorbed through your feet. Did you know that the pores on the bottoms of your feet are the largest on your body? This makes your feet a uniquely absorbent place to apply essential oils that can help support your self-care routine.
2. Applying oils to your feet will help you feel extra pampered. After a long day, the first thing you likely want to do is kick back and relax to your favorite TV show, snacks in hand. A simple foot massage on tired, worn-out feet is a great way to add an extra sign to your body that it’s time to relax and help instill your schedule with specific relaxation time.
3. The skin on your feet is less sensitive. From the time you first started walking, your feet have gotten their fair share of wear and tear. As a result, the skin on your feet is thicker and less sensitive than the skin on other parts of your body. This means that you are less likely to have a reaction when using essential oils on your feet. But, as always, make sure to spot test new oils on a small area of skin to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction.
4. Your feet are full of pressure points. According to the ancient Chinese medicinal practice of foot reflexology, specific areas on your feet correspond to different organs and parts of your body.
DIY foot massage oil blends
You can place essential oils on your feet any time of day, but it is especially effective to do as part of your routine first thing in the morning or as you wind down at night. That’s why choosing the right essential oil for the right time is so important! If you associate the scent of a particular oil with relaxation and rest, it’s probably best to use that at night as part of your bedtime routine; whereas an oil with a scent that you find invigorating and exciting should be used in the morning as you prepare for the day. If you’re not sure which oils are right for your routine, experiment with some of these combinations!
For a drop of excitement:
Prepare for the day with these rejuvenating oil blends to kick-start your morning.
- 6 drops Eucalyptus Globulus + 3 drops Tea Tree + 3 drops Thyme
- 6 drops Tea Tree + 6 drops Peppermint
- 8 drops Lemon + 4 drops Rosemary
- 4 drops Lemongrass + 4 drops Cypress + 4 drops Geranium Bourbon
For something more meditative:
Smooth your bedtime transition with these meditative blends that are perfect for use as you wind down at the end of your day.
- 6 drops Lavender + 6 drops Ylang Ylang
- 6 drops Roman Chamomile + 3 drops Clary Sage + 3 drops Bergamot
- 6 drops Marjoram + 6 drops Lavender
To make, combine the essential oils from one of the blends above (or create your own blend of 8−12 drops of essential oil) with ¼ cup (2 ounces) carrier oil such as like V-6™ into an empty glass bottle. Shake before each use.