Use a laundry soap free from harsh additives & perfumes
Many people have no idea what kinds of harsh chemicals and additives are hiding in their laundry detergent. When selecting a detergent, always check for synthetic ingredients and opt for one that is free of harsh additives and fragrances. The following are common additives that should be avoided:
Many popular laundry detergents contain optical brighteners to give clothes the appearance of being clean and white. By reflecting blue light, optical brighteners give the illusion of fabrics that look whiter than they actually are. These chemicals are designed to absorb into fabrics and remain on clothes after washing.
If you’re looking to keep your whites bright without adding synthetic chemicals to the wash, try one of these easy alternatives:
- If you see stains on your clothes, pretreat them before washing.
- Don’t mix your whites with other colors in the wash. Launder them in an all-white load and use hot water.
- To whiten small items like socks or napkins, fill a pot with water and a few lemon slices, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, then add the linens. Soak for up to an hour, then launder as usual.
- For an extra brightening boost for whites, hang them to dry in the sun for natural bleaching!
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
Sodium lauryl sulfate, or SLS, is a cleansing agent widely used in products like soaps, shampoos, toothpastes, and laundry detergents. It is used so often because it’s inexpensive and produces lots of foamy lather. Many people are concerned about SLS in their products because it can sometimes cause irritation or itchiness and may have other unknown side effects.
Some people consider synthetic perfumes, such as parabens, to be problematic because companies aren’t required to disclose the exact ingredients in the fragrances. Some have described that these perfumes can irritate sensitive skin and cause itching.
What makes Thieves Laundry Soap different
Like other products in Young Living’s household cleaner lineup, Thieves Laundry Soap’s purpose is to deliver a true clean provided by a plant-based formula that is free from the harsh additives we just discussed.
Thieves Laundry Soap is free from optical brighteners because you don’t want your clothes to just look clean—you want them to actually be clean! Our plant-based formula uses pure essential oils and natural cleansing enzymes to wash your clothes and keep them fresh.
Our detergent is also free from SLS and other sulfates. The cleaning power behind Thieves Laundry Soap comes from pure essential oils and natural enzymes. Thieves Laundry Soap also relies on the power of oils like Bergamot, Jade Lemon, and the essential oils in our Thieves blend to provide a refreshing scent without any hidden synthetic fragrances.
Other reasons we love Thieves Laundry Soap:
- One 32-ounce bottle of our ultra-concentrated detergent formula can clean 64 loads of laundry.
- This soap is compatible with high-efficiency washing machines and is safe for colors, whites, and delicates.
- Thieves Laundry Soap is safe and gentle enough to be poured directly onto clothing as a pre-treatment.
Looking for more clean-living hacks? Try these DIY Thieves Cleaning Fizzies for a simple clean that does the job or reinvent your routines with these essential oil hacks!
How do you like to incorporate essential oils into your laundry day?