When you think of essential oils, do the words “girly” or “fussy” come to mind? If so, then you clearly haven’t seen the wonders these products can do for unruly facial hair, sore muscles, and even that funky smell coming from the sneakers you rarely (okay, never) wash. Make no mistake, fellas. From tackling life’s problems to boosting daily routines, essential oils can play an important role in every man’s life.
So which ones are best for blokes, and what can you do with them? Get the answers to your questions here.
What are some masculine essential oils?
While all essential oils are for men (they’re for everyone!), not every guy wants to smell like flowers—we’re here for it if you do, though. Each person has unique preferences, but many men favor woodsy and earthy aromas over florals. If you’re looking for essential oils with more traditionally masculine scents, here are some of our favorites.
2. Vetiver essential oil
For a scent that’s more relaxing, Vetiver essential oil is a solid choice. Like Lavender, this essential oil is ideal for diffusing at bedtime or during times of stress, like when you’re prepping for a big presentation or interview. But unlike Lavender, Vetiver is smoky and earthy. That’s not to say Lavender is bad for guys—truth is its heady floral fragrance is widely used in men’s colognes. We even added it to Shutran! But if you prefer something more reminiscent of fresh-cut grass on a hot summer afternoon, you can’t go wrong with Vetiver.
How to use Vetiver:
- Wind down after a long day with a diffuser blend of 3 drops Vetiver, 4 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce, and 2 drops Tangerine.
- Get a whiff of inspiration by smelling it straight from the bottle.
- Add Vetiver to your face wash for extra cleansing power.
3. Peppermint essential oil
If Shutran is the boss of manly essential oil blends, then Peppermint is our top choice in singles. Fresh, energizing, and minty, this pick is one of the granddads of essential oils. It’s been around forever and is, without a doubt, here to stay. Many people enjoy using Peppermint topically for the icy, tingling sensation it leaves on skin.
How to use Peppermint:
- Add 4 drops of Peppermint to a dab of V-6™ or another carrier oil and rub it into your muscles for a cooling, post-leg day massage.
- Make this DIY head tension roll-on and glide it over your neck and temples whenever you need relief.
- Diffuse it with Thieves® for a cozy blend that says “let’s stay in tonight.”
- Combine a few drops with aloe vera gel to cool off after a long day in the sun.
4. Copaiba essential oil
Another champion among essential oils, Copaiba boasts numerous skin care benefits. It also includes the naturally occurring constituent beta-caryophyllene. Thanks to Copaiba’s warm and balsamic scent, this essential oil is perfect for creating calming diffuser blends and colognes. When you want to smell good without overpowering, this one is for you.
How to use Copaiba:
- Enhance your favorite beard oil or make your own with this easy recipe.
- Add a drop to your morning moisturizer. Yes, you should be moisturizing daily!
- Rub it into the bottoms of your feet before bed.
5. Sacred Sandalwood essential oil
No list of essential oils for men would be complete without Sacred Sandalwood™. Brought to you from our partner farm in the land Down Under, the Ord River Sandalwood Farm and Distillery, this woodsy wonder has an aroma that’s warm, soft, and sultry. It takes 30 years for a sandalwood tree to mature to the point that we can extract essential oils from it, but the wait is well worth it—and we’d bet the farm that you’ll agree.
How to use Sacred Sandalwood:
- Combat an itchy, dry scalp with a few drops of Sacred Sandalwood in your conditioner.
- Create a spa-like bath salt with 3-5 drops Sacred Sandalwood and ¼ cup Epsom salt—after all, baths aren’t just for ladies.
- Add an air of sophistication to your man cave by diffusing this rustic, earthy scent on its own.
- Compare it to Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood™ and decide which one you need most. Spoiler: it might be both.
6. Ginger essential oil
With its spicy, invigorating aroma, Ginger is another good bet for men. While you might think of ginger as an ordinary kitchen spice, the essential oil is anything but average. In addition to being one of our favorite oils for massage, this zinger is great to diffuse on long, monotonous road trips because of its stimulating scent.
How to use Ginger:
- Combine it with Ortho Ease® Massage Oil and rub over tired muscles and joints.
- Make your clothes smell super fresh by adding Ginger oil to laundry soap.
- Create a DIY air freshener spray with 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons witch hazel, 20 drops Ginger, and 10 drops Lemon.
7. Tea Tree essential oil
Another multitasker every man—and woman—needs in their home is Tea Tree. What makes this oil a must-have? Well, for starters, it has proven cleansing properties, making it a key ingredient in skin care products and natural cleaning solutions. What’s more, you can use it to infuse your home with a fresh, Eucalyptus-like smell.
How to use Tea Tree:
- Diffuse it to blast away unwanted odors from stinky gym bags or last night’s dinner.
- Prevent blemishes by adding a drop to your aftershave.
- Treat yourself to a cleansing scalp massage with 2 drops of Tea Tree and 4 drops of a carrier oil such as coconut oil; continue rubbing the oils in for 3-5 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Make an all-purpose cleaner with 1 cup distilled water, 1 cup vinegar, 10 drops Tea Tree, and 10 drops Pine.
Thought essential oils were only for women? Well, color you surprised. For more posts like this one, discover six manly diffuser blends or read our guide to woodsy EOs.
Leave A Comment