How many batches of essential oil slime have you made? We’ve played with bright blues, vivacious yellows, and glittery pinks, infused with a different KidScents® blend each time. But we’re ready for the next kid-friendly, adult-approved DIY. How about you?
Our next essential oil escapade starts here: DIY moon sand! Tactile, colorful, and addictively playful, this moon sand recipe is the indoor activity you need whether you’re managing meltdowns or turning boredom into giggly, fun playtime.
What is moon sand?
Moon sand looks like it was brought home from your kid’s latest fantastical lunar landing! Also called kinetic sand, this colorful, other-worldly moldable sand is the sensory activity parents love just as much as preschoolers. Press your homemade moon sand into any shape and size for endless hours of play!
How do you make homemade moon sand?
- 2 ½ cups fine sand
- 1 ½ cups cornstarch
- ½ cups coconut oil
- Natural food coloring (optional)
- 5–8 drops KidScents® SnifflEase™
YL tip: Use any fine sand you can find at a craft store. Customize plain sand with food coloring or try pre-dyed sand.
1. Add sand and cornstarch to a bowl and sift thoroughly until they are combined.
2. Add food coloring drops and mix until color is incorporated.
3. Add in oil gradually, stirring until the mixture forms a dense sand. No coconut oil lying around? Sub in baby oil or vegetable oil instead.
4. Get your hands in the mixture and start to knead and mold.
5. Add drops of essential oil and mix until combined.
6. Play away!
How do you store moon sand?
To keep your DIY sand fresh, store in an airtight container or reusable storage bag. Keep in a cool, dry place for up to a month. Is your scent fading? Add 5–10 drops of any family-friendly essential oil to bring your moon sand back to life.
Not ready to give up your spectacular slime? Keep playing with the sticky stuff! Eager to try something new? Get creative with DIY bubble bars.
What moon sand creations are you dreaming up with your kiddos?
Share in the comments below.
Leave A Comment