1. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl while bringing water to a boil.
2. Add the boiling water to the flour and salt mixture. We used 20 drops of Purification® and 15 drops of Cypress for a fresh, invigorating scent. For more scent ideas, check out the “scents we love” section below.
YL tip: If you’re dying your stones, add the food coloring to the boiling water before mixing it with the dry ingredients. This will evenly distribute the color in the dough.
3. Mix together with a whisk or fork. Add essential oils.
4. When the mixture is cool to the touch, knead the dough for several minutes until it’s smooth. The substance should resemble bread dough. If the dough is crumbly, add a tablespoon of water at a time and knead until the water is fully incorporated.
5. Break off 1-2 inch pieces of dough and roll with your hands into the shape of a ball or stone. For a river rock look—as seen in the picture—dip your finger in water and smooth out the cracks.
YL tip: Use a silicone mold to shape your aroma stones for a different look.
6. Leave the stones out to dry for 48 hours or until they are completely dry.
How it works
The essential oil aroma from the stones will flow throughout the area for a week or two. When the scent fades, add 3-12 drops of your favorite essential oils on the stones. The number of drops will depend on the size of the room and number of stones grouped together.
YL tip: Avoid getting the stones wet to maintain their texture.