According to the American Lung Association, the ingredients in some household cleaning products can cause health problems like headaches, irritation of the eyes and throat, respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and maybe even cancer.
Some product may release volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These gases come from paint, air fresheners, gasoline, tobacco smoke, wood-burning stoves, and a handful of household cleaners and disinfectants. Research shows that some VOCs can irritate eyes, nose, and throat; create difficulty breathing and nausea; and cause harm to the central nervous system and other organs.
Products that can include VOCs and toxic substances include:*
- Aerosol sprays
- Oven and appliance cleaners
- Air fresheners
- Dishwashing liquid and detergent
- Carpet and upholstery cleaners
*This is not a complete list.