Spring is finally here and it’s a good time to ensure your whole being is in resonance with the season! I want to share some tips that will help you clear and clean out the old, heavy energy of the winter and lighten up on all levels—physically, mentally, and emotionally.
According to the principles of yoga, doing poses (or asanas) that twist and turn the body—such as the Belly Twist Version A—massages the inner muscles and organs, essentially wringing out toxins while bringing in a rush of fresh oxygen and nutrients. This flushes impurities from inner tissues and helps organs perform their functions properly. This is an effective method for improving sluggish digestion. Other benefits of this pose include the stretching of back muscles, realignment and lengthening of the spine, and hydration of the spinal disks. The contraindications of this pose are recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips, or back.
Practice combining the Belly Twist with Young Living’s Di-Gize™ essential oil blend. This blend of tarragon, ginger, peppermint, juniper, fennel, lemongrass, anise, and patchouli oil helps support a healthy digestive system.
1. Lie on your back with your knees bent. This will take pressure off your lower back and soften your abdominal muscles.
2. Apply two drops of Di-Gize diluted with a small amount of V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex to your abdomen. Gently massage your abdomen in a clockwise motion, beginning on the right side of your lower abdomen, working up the right side to the rib cage, crossing the abdomen just below the diaphragm, back down the left side of the abdomen, then back across the lower abdomen to where you began. Drop into the sensation of the massage and begin to slow down and deepen your breathing. This clockwise abdominal massage traces the motion of your large intestine’s elimination process and can assist with constipation. Repeat this 7–10 times.
Belly Twist Instructions:
1. Remain lying on your back and bring your arms out to the sides with the palms facing down in a T position. Bend both knees into the chest.
2. Exhale and drop both knees over to the left side of your body, twisting the spine and low back. Slide the knees as close to the left arm as possible. Look at the right fingertips.
3. Keep your shoulders flat to the floor, close your eyes, and relax into the posture. Let gravity pull the knees down, so you do not have to use any effort in this posture.
4. Breathe and hold for 6–10 breaths.
5. To release, inhale and roll the hips back to the floor
6. Repeat on other side.
7. Go back and twist on the side you started at and switch again.
After the Belly Twists, remember to drink several glasses of water to keep your body’s cleansing process in motion.
Spring is a great time of year for planting the seeds for your intentions. When our bodies are properly eliminating, we have more energy for creating and manifesting.
Tracy Griffiths, RPP, RPE
Tracy Griffiths is a Registered Polarity Practitioner and Registered Polarity Educator. Tracy directs of the Life Energy Institute/Grace Aroma Wellness, which offers continuing education for nurses in California, acupuncturists, and massage therapists nationally. Tracy teaches the essential oils component of the Urban Zen Integrative Therapy Program and is also the author of Aroma Yoga®: How to Use Essential Oils in Your Yoga Practice. Visit www.aromayogaguide.com for Tracy’s upcoming classes and workshops.