Sometimes life gets you down. If you’ve had a rough day at work, you spent an hour in traffic, the person in front of you at the grocery store was taking forevvvvver, or maybe all of the above, you have plenty of reasons to feel cranky. We know life can’t always be full of Joy™, but if there are any tips for turning off our testiness, it’s worth a try! Use these mood-boosting tips with some of our favorite essential oils next time you’re feeling like a grump!
Turn off your phone, computer, tablet, and exist only in the present moment. This is time to clear your thoughts of experiences that may be causing sadness or anger and to pause your mind from looking to the future, as projecting onto the unknown can create anxious feelings.
- Diffuse Frankincense and Vetiver essential oils to create an uplifting and welcoming environment of relaxation. You may choose to write in a journal, sit comfortably, or do some gentle yoga to help clear your mind.
- Some of our favorite essential oils for meditation include Sacred Mountain™, Myrrh, Clarity, and Present Time™. Put a drop or two of your favorite from the list on your temples before you begin meditation. Breathe calmly and deeply and try to clear your mind of frustration, uncertainty, anxiety, and anger.
When you feel like the universe hasn’t been giving you a fair shake, take matters into your own hands and cut yourself a break with a little at-home pampering.
Maybe a long day on your feet put you in a foul mood. Treat your tootsies to this spa foot soak and let your ornery attitude melt away.
- Mix the Epsom salt and essential oils in a small bowl.
- Add the salt mixture to warm water.
- Sit back, relax, and let your feet soak for 15–30 minutes.
- Feeling like your frown lines are extra pronounced after a particularly peevish day? Try a DIY face mask to help you relax and put a fresh face forward tomorrow.
- Give your skin a little extra love. Sometimes, the simple sensation of caring for your body is enough to make you feel a bit better. Try our recipe for homemade body butter to elevate the experience.
Spend time with others
There’s a real possibility that your bad mood could be based in a lack of connection. While our lives are bombarded with constant communication, it can be rare that we get time to truly connect with the people we care about. Carve out some time to be with the ones you love.
- There’s no need to make big plans or get fussy about the house. The people who love you want to see you! Pull out leftovers or ask friends to bring snacks; diffuse oils like Ylang Ylang, Stress Away™, or a blend that reminds you of a favorite memory; and in the words of E.M. Forster, “Only connect!”
- On the flipside, a special night out can be the perfect remedy for a case of the blahs. Grab your partner and get gussied up! Ladies, put on your favorite special occasion makeup. Gentlemen, grab your go-to aftershave or beard oil and hit the town!
Eat your feelings
Comfort food can be dangerous, but something tasting good and satisfying a craving doesn’t have to mean that it’s bad for you. Rather than diving headfirst into a bag of potato chips, try some of these healthful options that won’t leave you feeling miserable after.
- Kick a soda craving by adding Tangerine Vitality™ to water. You’ll curb your sweet tooth, and proper hydration is key to feeling great.
- You may be ready to dial out for pizza delivery or you’ve stood staring in the frozen section debating between three flavors of ice cream. Save yourself from digestion woes by cooking up cauliflower pizza crust, loaded with veggies, and round out your night with blueberry-lavender ice cream.
- Sometimes, the sweet scent of a favorite baked good is enough to cancel a craving and boost your spirits. Use one of our dessert-scented diffuser blends to bring a smile out when you’re feeling blue.