If you’re like most of us at Young Living, Peppermint essential oil is already one of your favourites. Whether you’re looking for a burst of fresh fragrance, an energizing early-morning diffuser blend, or a cooling addition to a foot rub at the end of the day, a few drops of this oil always seem to do the trick.
Here are 20 uses for Peppermint essential oil to try!
- Chill out after a long day. Dilute 1 drop of Peppermint with 4 drops of V-6™ or another carrier oil; then rub on the temples, forehead, and back of the neck. Be careful to avoid your eyes! You’ll feel a soothing, cooling sensation, courtesy of the constituents menthol and menthyl acetate. YL tip: Can you put Peppermint oil directly on the skin?Peppermint is a “hot” oil, which means it creates a warming sensation on the skin when it’s applied undiluted. We recommend starting out using Peppermint diluted 1:4 with a carrier oil. If you want to use it undiluted, do a patch test of 1 drop to see how it feels on your skin. If you experience a reaction to the oil, dilute the oil with a 1:4 ratio of carrier oil and try another patch test.
- Soothe sun-kissed skin. Cool skin after a day in the sun by adding a few drops each of Peppermint and Lavender to aloe vera gel.
- Freshen carpets. Make a carpet powder with 1 cup of baking soda and 20-30 drops of essential oil. We love the purifying scent of Kunzea with Peppermint’s bright aroma.
- Add Cool Azul™ to your cool-down. Peppermint is the main ingredient in the Cool Azul line of products! Massage tired muscles with Cool Azul Sports Gel after a tough workout.
- Find your focus. Fill your office or study space with energizing aromas by diffusing this blend when it’s time to buckle down on a project.
- Refresh while you rehydrate. Add a few drops of Peppermint to your water bottle for an extra refreshing zing. We recommend 1-2 drops for every 500ml or 2 cups of water.
- Sweeten your breath. Put a drop of Peppermint Oil on your tongue to freshen your breath and get rid of any trace of those garlic-flavoured kale chips you ate with lunch!
- Find balance. Diffuse this grounding blend whenever your mind needs clarity, such as during moments of spiritual study or meditation.
- Stimulate your scalp. Add 3 drops of Peppermint to your shampoo in the morning and massage into your scalp for 2 minutes for a brisk way to start the day.
- Remix your favourite recipes. Use Peppermint to add a refreshing twist to a jug of lemonade.
- Soak in the sweet aroma. Add 5 drops of this oil directly to bathwater and enjoy an invigorating soak.
- Pre-Work Out Pick Me Up. Diffuse half an hour before working out for a natural motivating boost.
- Take it on the go. Pack Deep Relief™ Roll-On in your purse for some simple self-care on the go. This oil is the main ingredient and contributes to the cooling sensation!
- Create a cooling rub. Mix a drop of Peppermint with a small amount of V-6 and rub it onto your skin for a cooling sensation and fresh fragrance.
- Cool off on a hot day. When the temperature’s climbing and you feel like melted ice cream on a hot sidewalk, add two drops of Peppermint to a cold, damp washcloth. It’s perfect for the back of your neck, your forehead, or your chest.
- Refresh musty rooms. Invite a fresh aroma into your home with a breezy diffuser blend.
- Turn sweets into something special. Infuse your baked goods with a drop of Peppermint Oil. Try our delicious Guilt-Free Peppermint Brownies.
- Freshen funky workout gear. Smelly gym bag or stinky shoes? Mix 2 ounces of water and 6 drops of Peppermint in a spray bottle to freshen it up!
- Shake up your morning shower. Put 2 drops of Peppermint and 2 drops of Eucalyptus Radiataon a washcloth and put it on the shower floor just out of the direct stream of water. The steam will surround you with an invigorating aroma!
- Breathe in the aroma straight from the bottle. Whatever less-than-amazing smells you’re faced with, just open your trusty bottle of Peppermint and take a deep breath. The chilly aroma will chase away almost any unpleasant scent.
Tell us in the comments which of these uses for Peppermint oil you’re going to try first!
(Because if you love Peppermint like we do, we know you’re going to try them all!)