With so many essential oils to choose from, we can’t pick favorites. But there are some oils we keep coming back to over and over again. Whether we want to get some rest and relaxation, or we want to liven up our living areas, these are the oils we can always rely on!
Learn about these top essential oils and how you can use them in your home!
1. How to use Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is at the top of our essential EO list! We can’t resist Peppermint oil’s invigorating aroma or the wonderful cooling sensation it creates.
- Our Peppermint oil is created by steam distilling the leaves and flowering tops of peppermint plants.
- One pound of peppermint goes into every 15-ml bottle of Peppermint essential oil.
- Peppermint plants originated in Europe, but today, 75 percent of the world’s supply is grown in the United States.
How to use it:
- Use Peppermint topically for a cool, tingling sensation that’s refreshing after a tough workout or a long day.
- Diffuse it to make your space feel more stimulating and energizing.
- Inhale or apply Peppermint topically to your chest for a stimulating scent.
YL tip: Add Peppermint essential oil to your bath! We love the contrast of the hot water and the cooling sensation of the oil. Relax and take deep breaths of the soothing, aromatic steam.
Simple Peppermint diffuser blend:
Refresh and Unwind Blend
3 drops Peppermint essential oil
3 drops Lemon essential oil
4 drops Lavender essential oil
2. How to use Lavender essential oil
We’re absolutely in love with Lavender! With a scent that is a beautiful blend of fresh, floral, clean, and calm, Lavender essential oil is wonderful for so many uses! From relaxing routines to soothed skin, this oil can do it all.
- Our Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the flowering tops of the plant.
- It takes 27 square feet of lavender plants to make one 15-ml bottle of oil.
- The many qualities and uses of lavender were praised in ancient Greece.
- Use Lavender topically to cleanse and soothe minor skin irritations.
- Use it topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes and support aging skin.
- Diffuse Lavender to help create an oasis of calm feelings or as part of your bedtime routine.
YL tip: Add a few drops of Lavender essential oil to lotions, shampoos, and skin care products. You’ll love the luxurious fragrance and the topical benefits!
Simple Lavender diffuser blend:
Create Your Zen Blend
3 drops Lavender essential oil
3 drops Bergamot essential oil
3 drops Frankincense essential oil
3. How to use Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil is like a bottle of sunshine! With a joyful citrus aroma, Lemon oil is sure to make any day a little brighter. It’s a favorite for eliminating odors and creating an uplifting atmosphere.
- We cold press lemon rinds to create our Lemon oil.
- It takes 75 lemon rinds to make one 15-ml bottle of Lemon essential oil.
- The lemon tree originates from of Asia and can reach heights of about 20 feet.
How to use it:
- Add a few drops to naturally derived floor, window, and surface cleaners.*
- Diffuse Lemon to help create a sunny, bright space.
- Add it to conditioner and DIY hair masques to give your hair a smoother, shinier look.
*Do not use Lemon essential oil on granite or stone, as it may etch the surface.
YL tip: Let the bright fragrance of Lemon essential oil lift you up during stressful times at work or school. Diffuse Lemon oil to help create focus and motivation so you can shine.
Simple Lemon diffuser blend:
Bright Day Blend
4 drops Lemon essential oil
4 drops Peppermint essential oil
2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
4. How to use Tea Tree essential oil
We can’t leave Tea Tree essential oil off our list of favorites. Also known as Melaleuca or Melaleuca Alternifolia, this refreshing oil packs a punch!
- Our Tea Tree essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia
- The Melaleuca alternifolia tree is native to Australia.
- Tea Tree oil has been loved for centuries for its abundant beauty benefits.
- Use Tea Tree topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes and help maintain healthy-looking skin, hair, scalp, and nails.
- Diffuse it to eliminate musty odors and freshen living spaces.
- Add Tea Tree to homemade soaps to boost cleansing properties.
YL tip: Combine a few drops of Tea Tree essential oil with water in a small glass spray bottle and spray it on linens and towels to keep them smelling fresh. Goodbye, musty closet smell!
Simple Tea Tree diffuser blend:
Air Refresher Blend
3 drops Tea Tree essential oil
3 drops Cedarwood essential oil
4 drops Lemon essential oil
5. How to use Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has a grounding and earthy aroma that we love for moments of deep contemplation. The use of frankincense isn’t new—this oil has been popular since 1500 BCE!
- Our Frankincense essential oil is distilled from the resin of Boswellia carterii
- Boswellia carterii trees are native to northern Africa, near the Arabian Peninsula.
- Frankincense oil is considered a holy oil in the Middle East and is used in religious ceremonies.
- Use Frankincense topically to promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- Use it topically to reduce the appearance of uneven skin tone.
- Diffuse Frankincense to promote feelings of relaxation, tranquility, and focus.
YL tip: Take a cue from this oil’s ancient history: Diffuse Frankincense to create a tranquil, grounding space that’s perfect for yoga, meditation, or quiet contemplation.
Simple Frankincense diffuser blend:
2 drops Frankincense essential oil
4 drops Cedarwood essential oil
4 drops Bergamot essential oil
6. How to use Copaiba essential oil
We can’t forget Copaiba essential oil! With an aroma that’s warm, woodsy, sweet, and incredibly inviting, Copaiba oil is truly an essential EO.
- Our Copaiba essential oil is steam distilled from resin tapped from the Copaifera reticulata
- The Copaifera reticulata tree is native to the Amazon region of Brazil.
- The tree grows 50–100 feet high and produces tiny white flowers and small nut-like fruit.
- Use Copaiba topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes and promote the appearance of a youthful, radiant glow.
- Diffuse it to fill your home with a warm, inviting aroma.
- Massage Copaiba onto fatigued areas after physical activity.
YL tip: Reward yourself after a hard workout: Dilute Copaiba with our V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex and message it onto your tired muscles. Let the cozy fragrance help you relax.
Simple Copaiba diffuser blend:
Tropical Paradise Blend
4 drops Copaiba essential oil
3 drops Lime essential oil
3 drops Tangerine essential oil
7. How to use Thieves essential oil blend
This is a blend—unlike the other oils on our list—but there’s a reason Thieves® essential oil blend is one of our most popular products! The warm, spicy fragrance is absolutely irresistible.
- Thieves blend combines Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils.
- Legend says that during the 15th century, French thieves would douse themselves in a special aromatic blend before sneaking into graveyards to rob from the dead.
- Thieves essential oil blend was created based on this legendary concoction.
- Use Thieves topically to cleanse your skin.
- Diffuse it to banish bad odors and create a cozy, peaceful living environment.
- Add Thieves to cleaning products to boost cleaning power and fill your home with a fresh fragrance.
YL tip: Refresh musty carpets by adding 5 drops of Thieves blend to a cup of baking soda. Mix it well and let it sit overnight. In the morning, sprinkle this refreshing mixture over carpets and vacuum thoroughly. Your carpets—and your home—will be filled with the warm aroma!
Simple Thieves diffuser blend:
Cleaning Day Blend
6 drops Thieves essential oil blend
4 drops Lemon essential oil