There’s nothing better than a delicious mouth-watering pie that is full of nutrition and you can indulge in guilt-free! Any remaining slices can be savored as a breakfast treat when paired with yogurt and fresh fruit. You can also create a luscious parfait by layering pie pieces with sweetened whipped cream or yogurt in a glass, finishing with a dollop of whipped cream and a scattering of berries on top.
NingXia Red is a blend of superfruit juices and pure Orange, Yuzu, Lemon and Tangerine essential oils. Enjoy NingXia Red daily to energise, fortify and revitalise the body and support overall wellness from head to toe.
TIP The berries I’ve chosen for the recipe are a suggestion, if you prefer one kind of berry or different berries feel free to create your oven berrilicious filling. You’ll need approx. 4½ cups of berries for the pie, enough to fill the pie crust. Blackberries are also great in pies if you can find them fresh or frozen.
NOTE You can use fresh berries or frozen, but if using frozen berries thaw them first in a strainer/colander to remove excess liquid. I’ve suggested using cornstarch; however, you can use another thickening agent if you prefer like arrowroot. Depending on the mixture of your berries you may need to add a little more cornstarch or NingXia in step 2 of the method. You can make your own pie crust or buy one.
- Ingredients for Filling
- 1 pie crust (premade or homemade)
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 1½ cup raspberries
- 1½ cup strawberries (cut in quarters)
- ½ cup NingXia Red
- ½ cup cornstarch (preferably organic) or arrowroot
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 – 3 drops lemon oil (optional, to taste)
- ½ cup raw sugar (to taste)
- pinch of sea salt (optional, to taste)
- Ingredients for Topping
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed or coconut sugar (to taste)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220C and place a rimmed baking tray on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drips while the pie is baking.
- 2. In a large bowl gently mix together all the filling ingredients and leave them for approx. 15 minutes to thicken. Stir them gently a few times to ensure the ingredients are well mixed. If the pie filling is a bit to runny stir in a little more cornstarch and mix well. If it is too thick stir in a little more NingXia Red.
- 3. While the filling is thickening in a medium bowl mix together the topping ingredients and set aside.
- 4. Meanwhile in a medium bowl mix together the topping ingredients and set aside.
- 5. Line a pie tin with the crust and press evenly to fill the tin. Then crimp the edges with your fingers and cut off the excess dough or use a premade crust.
- 6. Fill the crust with the berry mixture and smooth the top. Then evenly sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- 7. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 20 minutes on 220C. then reduce the oven to 180C and continue baking until the filling is bubbling for approx. 50 – 60 minutes. Check while baking to make sure the edges of the pie are not burning and loosely cover with a piece of baking paper, if needed.
- 8. Let the pie cool for at least 1 hour before serving to help it set. You can serve with ice cream, non-dairy ice cream, sweetened cream or sweetened yoghurt.
Leave A Comment