Vegetarian Halloumi Burger
Jump to recipe
Halloumi makes a wonderful veggie burger filling in place of mince or you can add these halloumi slices to a regular burger as a yummy layer. You’re going to love the taste of basil essential oil in this dish as it adds a great burst of flavour!
NOTE Cooking time for the halloumi is approx. 5 – 7 minutes depending on how thick you slice the halloumi. You want to sear it on the outside making it a lovely golden brown.
- Burger Ingredients:
- 1 package halloumi (approx. 600gm…cut into 4 – 8 slices)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or olive oil (for cooking)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 – 2 drops basil essential oil (to taste)
- 4 burger bunss
- Tomato Aioli Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 drops basil essential oil (to taste)
- 2 drops lemon essential oil (to taste)
- ½ tsp dried basil or a few fresh leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Optional Toppings:
- tomato slices and/or beetroot slices
- avocado slices or mashed avo
- rocket and/or lettuce leaves
- 1. Make the tomato aioli and set aside before you start cooking the halloumi.
- 2. In a medium bowl mix all the aioli ingredients together well, taste and add a little more sea salt and basil oil, if desired.
- 3. Prepare the buns and other toppings before you cook the halloumi so you are ready to serve when they are done cooking. You can prepare the topping a few hours ahead of time and keep chilled until ready to serve.
- 4. To cook the halloumi, mix with the coconut or olive oil with the basil oil and then heat the oil mixture in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Place the slices of halloumi in the pan, sprinkle with black pepper and cook for approx. 3 minutes on one side. Then carefully turn over and finish cooking for approx. 3 more minutes until golden brown on each side.
- 5. Serve the burger on buns, bread or lettuce leaves and top with a little tomato aioli and other toppings of choice.
© 2023 COPYRIGHT (C) 2018 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - YOUNG LIVING
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!