Sweet Potato and Corn Fritters with Avocado Dip
These tasty Sweet Potato and Corn Fritters are easy to make and great as a vegetarian main or side dish. Enjoy with a delicious Avocado Dip. You can also serve them for brunch topped with poached or scrambled eggs. They are wonderful to serve like burgers too. For a little added crunch try adding a few pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds to the mixture before cooking.
NOTE To make this recipe vegan you can substitute a ‘chia egg’ in place of the egg. To make a chia egg place 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons of water. Stir together and set aside for approx. 5 minutes until it the mixture forms a gel. Then use in the recipe instead of the regular egg.
TIPS Using the fresh citrus juice when making the avocado dip helps to prevent the avocado from turning brown usually. If you prefer the dip to be a little less thick you can add a little water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Ingredients for Sweet Potato & Corn Fritters:
- 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil (for cooking the fritters)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, grated (approx. 4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh corn (or frozen, thawed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped (reserve 1 for serving)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten (or chia egg replacer, see NOTE)
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 drop black pepper oil (to taste)
- 4 drops lime oil (to taste)
- Ingredients for Avocado Dip:
- 1 large ripe avocado (or 2 medium)
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder (optional, to taste)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (optional, to taste)
- A few chili flakes (optional, to taste)
- 2 – 4 drops lime oil (to taste)
- 1. In a large bowl mix all the fritter ingredients together by hand except the cooking oil and 1 reserved spring onion. Check for consistency by placing some of the fritter batter in your hand and forming a patty to see if it holds together. You may need to add a little more flour and test again.
- 2. Place the fritter batter in the fridge to help it set for a few minutes while you make the avocado dip.
- 3. To make the avocado dip scoop the flesh of the avocado into a medium bowl and sprinkle with fresh lime or lemon juice. Then gently smash the avocado and add the rest of the dip ingredients and stir to combine. Then taste and add a little more salt or lime oil, if desired. The dip is best served soon after making it.
- 4. To cook the fritters, heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat and add approx. 1 tbsp of the cooking oil and let it heat and melt.
- 5. Using a tablespoon scoop a heaping spoonful of the mixture and place it in the pan and gently press down to form a patty and repeat. Do not over crown the pan as you will need to cook the fritters in at least 2 – 3 batches depending on the size of your pan. Add more oil for each new batch you cook and watch the temperature as you may need to reduce it a little. (Alternatively, you can form the fritters ahead of time and place them on a tray lined with baking paper that has been coated with a little olive oil, to prevent them from sticking, and refrigerate until you are ready to cook them).
- 6. Cook for approx. 2 – 3 minutes until golden and then gently turn them over using a spatula and continue cooking 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown. You may need to reduce the heat a little and be careful not to burn them.
- 7. Place the cooked fritters on a wire rack, a plate or baking tray lined with paper/kitchen towels to drain and gently cover with baking paper to keep warm while you cook the rest of the fritters. You can also place them in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- 8. Serve the fritters on a platter or individual plates topped with Avocado Dip and sliced spring onions.
© 2021 COPYRIGHT (C) 2019 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - YOUNG LIVING
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!