Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
Jump to recipe
There’s nothing like a warm cheesy sandwich and a good cuppa soup on a cold rainy day! This makes a great idea for an easy weeknight dinner and is sure to be a crowd pleaser for the whole family!
TIP You can make this a vegan recipe by using olive oil or coconut oil in place of butter in the soup, and vegan butter and vegan cheese for the sandwiches. Using a little maple syrup or other sweeteners in the soup creates a wonderful flavour and balances the acidity of the tomatoes.
NOTE Use whatever bread you like including gluten-free bread if you are gluten sensitive. 0ther types of breads you can use depending on your preference includes, sliced sourdough or even croissants. You can also use fresh chopped tomatoes (approx. 8 medium tomatoes) for this recipe you’ll just need to cook them a little longer (add approx. 15 minutes to cooking time) until tender.
Young Living’s Cilantro essential oil adds a bright, sharp and flavourful addition to recipes calling for fresh cilantro.
- Tomato Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil, butter or vegan butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cans (approx. 400gm each) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cups veggie broth, chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 1 – 2 drops Cilantro essential oil (to taste)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves (optional for serving)
- Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices bread of choice
- Mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise or softened butter (for spreading on the bread)
- 1 – 1½ cups shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese or slices (or 2 slices per sandwich)
- 2 – 3 tbsp butter, olive oil or vegan butter (for cooking)
- Tomato Soup
- 1. In a large soup pot on medium-heat, add the olive oil and onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Add the garlic, stir and then add the canned tomatoes with their juices. Using a potato masher or large spoon break up the tomatoes into large chunks.
- 2. Pour in the broth and bring the heat to high until the soup starts to simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and simmer for approx. 15 – 20 minutes. Stir the soup every few minutes and continue cooking until the onion is soft and the tomatoes have broken down.
- 3. Once the soup is done you can carefully blend some or all of the soup with a stick blender depending on how chunky you like it. You may need to add a little more broth or water if the soup is a little too thick for your liking. While the soup is cooking, make the sandwiches.
- Grilled Cheese
- 1. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise (or softened butter/vegan butter) on one side of each slice of bread. Then evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese (or place 2 slices of cheese) on the mayonnaise side of the 4 slices. Place the remaining 4 slices on top of each cheese covered slice with the mayonnaise side down and press gently on each sandwich to help them stick together.
- 2. In a large frying pan or on a griddle, melt 2 tbsp of butter on medium heat. Gently place the sandwiches in the pan being careful that the cheese stays in place. Cook on one side for 2 – 3 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown.
- 3. Melt the remaining 1 tbsp of butter in the pan and carefully turn the sandwiches over with a spatula moving them around a little to coat them with the butter. Add more butter if desired. Cook for approx. 1 – 2 minutes longer until the other side is golden brown, and the cheese has melted. Turn heat to lowest setting to keep sandwiches warm until ready to serve.
- 4. Taste the soup and add a little more sea salt and pepper if desired and serve the soup in bowls. Garnish with a few cilantro (coriander) leaves, if you like. Set the bowls on plates. Place the sandwiches on a cutting board and cut then in quarters or diagonally and set them on the plates with the soup and serve immediately.
© 2023 COPYRIGHT (C) 2019 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - YOUNG LIVING
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!