Every afternoon during the school year, kids rush home and raid the kitchen in search of an afternoon snack. If parents aren’t careful, these snacks could fill their kids up with processed ingredients with little nutritional value.
Instead, here’s an alternative that combines the delicious and wholesome benefits of fruit, essential oils, and Ecuadorian Dark Chocolessence™! Different from standard chocolate, Ecuadorian Dark Chocolessence contains 70 percent cacao and offers high amounts of beneficial flavonoids. This snack is customizable, so you can adapt it for almost any age and even your pickiest eater!
- 4 bars Ecuadorian Dark Chocolessence, chopped
- 2 teaspoons organic coconut oil
- A 2–4 drops of a tasty essential oil, such as Peppermint or Orange (optional)
- Sliced fruit, such as strawberries, bananas, pineapple, or pears
- Toppings such as sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, or coconut flakes
- Wax paper
- Double boiler or small pot and small metal bowl
- Tray or baking sheet
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in a double boiler. You can create your own with a stainless steel bowl placed over a small pot of boiling water. Stir often to prevent chocolate from burning.
- As soon as all of the chocolate has melted and combined with the coconut oil, remove from heat. Ecuadorian Dark Chocolessence contains quinoa crisps and raw cacao nibs, so the melted chocolate will not be completely smooth. If using, mix in 1–2 drops essential oil.
- Dip fruit into the chocolate mixture using toothpicks or skewers and place chocolate-coated fruit on wax paper-lined tray or baking sheet. Stir chocolate occasionally.
- When all of the fruit is coated in chocolate, garnish with your choice of toppings. Place tray in freezer to help the chocolate set.
- Remove from freezer and enjoy!
This treat is perfect for sweet-toothed and health-conscious individuals alike! Comment below and tell us what combinations you would love to try.
—Blair Lloyd, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Associate