Can essential oils change your life? They sure have changed ours! From a Lavender-infused bedtime routine to a cleaner-smelling Lemon-y kitchen, we have the tips and tricks you need to start using essential oils. Read on for our ways to go from beginner oil user to supreme oil enthusiast!
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are highly aromatic oils derived from plants. They can be pulled from any botanical matter and are typically extracted from flower petals, citrus peels, grasses, tree barks, and resins. The oils are extracted through a variety of methods, including cold pressing and steam distillation.
Basic Use of Essential Oils
- Rub 2–3 drops of essential oil between your palms and inhale.
- Use your favorite essential oils in our diffusers.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and bowl with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
- Place 2–3 drops of essential oil directly on the desired area and massage in.
*some oils can be directly applied to skin; while some require dilution. Always follow the label’s dilution instructions.
Essential oils to start your collection
New to oils and don’t know where to start? Here are some of our favorite oils and their top uses!
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil was the first oil produced at Young Living and is a favorite for its calming, floral aroma.
- Rub lavender oil on the bottom of your feet before bed or spritz your pillow with distilled water and Lavender mixed in a spray bottle.
- Create a spa-like retreat by combining 1 cup Epsom salt and 4 drops oil and adding to a hot bath.
Peppermint essential oil
A cooling, minty scent with a familiar sharpness, Peppermint essential oil offers an energizing aroma that combines well with citrusy, spicy, and woodsy oils.
- After a tough workout, dilute a few drops of Peppermint in V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex, and use it in a refreshing post-workout massage.
- Peppermint is in the same family as both Lavender and Rosemary. Diffuse the oils of these powerful botanicals together for a fresh aroma that uplifts the spirit.
Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil frequently makes an appearance in cleaning products, and with good reason! Its bright, comforting scent makes everything feel fresher.
- Add a few drops to naturally derived floor, window, and surface cleaning solutions. Do not use Lemon oil on granite or stone, as it may etch the surface.
- Add lemon to your skin care products to reduce the appearance of blemishes or to conditioner and DIY hair masques to give your hair a smoother, shinier look.
Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has been popular since ancient times, but it’s making a comeback due to its earthy, grounding aroma and skin benefits.
- Add Frankincense to your daytime lotion or night cream for a custom moisturizer that highlights your natural beauty.
- Incorporate Frankincense into your yoga ritual by diffusing this oil during your routine and following up with a post-practice massage.
Ready to take it to the next level?
Read “Your Aroma Oasis in the Workplace” to learn more about using essential oils at work!
This post is also available in: Chinese (Traditional)