Young Living Silver Distributors
Aromatherapy and Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is the inhalation of plant oils, called essential oils, for improved physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Essential oils are the pure essence of the plant—often referred to as nature's living energy—and can provide both psychological and physical benefits when used correctly. Essential oils can be used on their own for aromatherapy or with complementary natural ingredients, such as vegetable or carrier oils.
Aromatherapy for Improved Wellness
Aromatherapy is one of many ways you can enjoy the benefits of essential oils. When practicing aromatherapy it's vital that only pure, undiluted essential oils are used. Synthetic, perfume-grade products lack the necessary level of beneficial constituents and offer little or no positive effect.
Only by diffusing pure YLTG™ quality essential oils can you create a proper mood, state of mind, or improve your physical well-being.
The Science of Aromatherapy
When a YLTG essential oil is diffused, it's inhaled and processed through the olfactory system, which then sends the benefits of the aroma to the brain. Depending on the specific constituents in the oil, you may begin to feel the release of negative emotions, the soothing of undue muscle tension, or experience the cleansing effect of the oils as your body eliminates toxins.
There are two ways to use essential oils for aromatherapy: inhalation and application.
When inhaling oils for aromatherapy, here are some commonly used techniques:
Inhale essential oils directly—simply smell them straight from the bottle.
Diffuse essential oils using a device that disperses the oil into the air in a micro-fine vapour. Young Living offers a line of essential oil diffusers that effectively spreads the aromatic benefits of essential oils through the air without damaging their important constituents.
Use essential oils with a humidifier. Sprinkle a few drops of essential oil on a tissue or small cloth and place in front of the escaping steam. Avoid putting the oil directly into your humidifier, as it will float on top of the water instead of dispersing with the water vapour.
Pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of essential oil. Lower your face a few inches over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel, then breathe deeply and slowly.
Essential oils can be applied directly to the skin. Be sure to read the label before using oils, as some oils must be first diluted with a carrier oil—like Young Living's V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex—prior to use.
Key areas for application are:
- Crown of head
- Behind ears
- Upper back
- Over vital organs
- Soles and tops of feet
Steps for application are:
Place 2–3 drops of oil in the palm of your hand or directly on the desired area.
If placing oil in your hand, rub palms together in a circular motion and then massage oil onto the desired point of application. If applying directly to the desired area, massage the oil into your skin using a circular motion. Repeat as desired.
Note: Essential oils are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply a carrier oil or pure vegetable oil to the area to dilute. Please read label direction for each individual oil before using.
Young Living's Most Popular Products for Aromatherapy
- Thieves®: University tested for its cleansing abilities.
- Abundance™: Believed to attract positive energy.
- Purification™: Excellent for cleansing the air of impurities.
- Peppermint: Diffuse or apply externally for an energy boost.
- Lemon: Revitalising and uplifting, this essential oil is high in antioxidants.
- Orange: Good for relaxation, this oil brings peace and happiness to the mind.
- Grapefruit: Has a great citrus aroma that is refreshing and uplifting.
- Citrus Fresh™: A relaxing, calming blend—great for adults and children.
- Joy™: Diffuse this oil for a refreshing, uplifting effect.
- Lavender: The most versatile of all essential oils, lavender oil is good for quieting the mind before bed.
- Peace & Calming™: Helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit.
- Essential Oil Diffuser: Disperses essential oils without heating so they retain their full benefits.
- Ultrasonic Diffuser: Atomises cold water and essential oils, breaking up molecules into a microscopic mist.
“Spray lemongrass essential oil on your children's bed linens to keep those spiders that have hidden indoors for the winter away from their sheets. Children like the fragrance, and it gives them an aromatherapy treatment.”